Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Waffle Bus


Ahhh.....waffles. The name invokes memories of sweet crispy goodness that pops out of your toaster. Let’s face it. The most exposure we have to waffles is climbing out of bed, hungover and in a daze, crawling to the freezer and popping in a couple of Eggo waffles to soak up the alcohol. A waffle makeover is in dire need. Queue The Waffle Bus.



I arrived around 1:30 at Bo Concept on Westheimer and the smell of fried, crispy goodness was wafting out of the bus. There was a line of about 15 people in front of me. I've never wanted to cut in line so badly. I could overhear people standing around me discussing what to get. I had taken a look at the menu online and I was torn between the Buttermilk Fried Chicken & Waffle and the Waffle Burger. After seeing someone walk past me with the Fried Chicken & Waffle my mind was made up. The menu has both sweet and savory waffle sandwich options and something really awesome called "Waffle Fryders". Think sliders but instead of the bun...it's waffle fries! These people are genius.

Waffle Bus Menu
It could not have been a more perfect day for a food truck outing. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, Westheimer drivers were honking and flipping each other off. Ahhhh...a perfect Houston Spring day. As I patiently waited for my turn, there was one thing that was bugging me...and I mean REALLY bugging me. The guy behind me kept bumping into me and hitting my purse. C'mon dude haven't you ever heard of a personal bubble? Get your own!

The girl that took my order was very friendly and she even complimented me on my nail polish. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I ordered the Buttermilk Fried Chicken & Waffle with the ancho honey. You can also get it with spicy mayo if you're not into the whole sweet & savory thing.


It was $7 for the sandwich plus a $1 charge for using a credit card. I understand the whole concept for charging for using a card for food trucks. Most of them probably have this policy. They don't do the high volume regular restaurants do to overcome the cost of running credit cards and it's easier for them to handle cash. So do yourself a favor and bring cash. You're not only making their lives easier but you're saving yourself a $1.


After I placed my order, I stood back to let other people come up to the bus and I see this...


As if my experience wasn't going well enough, I see this sign. I love a good sense of humor and the people at The Waffle Bus definitely have it. Haters gonna hate!

Kudos to them for distracting me with this hilarious sign and music videos being played on the TV. Nothing distracts you more from hunger like scary Nikki Minaj music videos. At this point I haven't eaten anything all day and I was close to gnawing on my own arm.

And then....that glorious moment happened! MY NAME WAS CALLED!





How amazing does that sandwich look? You wanna see another picture? Yea....you do


The waffle was perfectly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The chicken, fried to perfection. Now the sauce is really where it's at. The ancho honey sauce is a balance of heat and sweet. At first bite the sweetness of the honey hits you and then the mild smokey heat from the ancho fills your mouth. Sweet & savory perfection.

The sandwich is delightfully messy. Everyone is sitting around on the floor and sidewalk savoring every bite. How can you not love this? No one judges you for being covered in honey and shoveling the sandwich in your mouth like your life depended on it. Needless to say I finished the whole thing.
No shame.

After 10 napkins, an entire bottle of water and a small pep talk to remind myself I can always work off the calories I was finished and on my way to work for another night of shuffling customers to their tables.

The next time you're craving a waffle check out The Waffle Bus. The menu has something for everyone PLUS they have specials. The special for today was "PB&J"-Biscoff Spread with strawberry preserves. If I didn't have any self control I would have ordered that too and finished it. Biscoff is right up there with Nutella.

This was my first visit and it certainly won't be my last. In the words of The Waffle Bus..."Everyday I'm Wafflin!"




Please comment and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Sounds like I have a stop to make at the Waffle bus! The commentary just has me dreaming of those precious little morsals! Thanks for the information and critique. Keep up the good detective work Foodie Critic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited the waffle bus in the museum dietrict today and I was very surprised of the freshness of the waffle burger. I must say the line was ridicules long, but I managed, and ate my waffle burger under a magnolia tree. ;)

    ReplyDelete