Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Melange Creperie

Bonjour Food Truck fans! 

The 1st time I had a crepe was about 5 years ago when I traveled to Paris, France.   Ever since then I've been searching for a crepe that lived up to those fond memories of crispy, thin goodness filled with everything from nutella to chicken to spinach to cheese. 


Melange Creperie serves French style crepes and they have 2 crepe carts roaming the streets of Houston. In addition to classics such as nutella with banana and ham, egg and cheese, they feature a weekly rotating menu. 


Today, Melange Creperie set up shop at City Hall's Urban Harvest Market. I feel like a bad Houstonian because I've lived here all my life and this is the 1st time I've ever heard of Urban Harvest Market.  Every Wednesday from 11am - 1:30pm dozens of local farmers, restaurants and bakers set up shop to feed the hungry downtown crowd.  They even had a live band and something so cute I just had to take a picture...


A baby goat! This has nothing to do with crepes but I'm sure your day was just made a little brighter by this cute little guy. 

I walked past dozens of stands filled with local produce, vegan baked goods and of course food trucks.  I found my way to Melange Creperie not by the smell of crepes nor by the sign announcing their name.  I found my way there because of a very entertaining guy calling people over to the stand.  I could literally hear him 4 stalls away but it got my attention as well as about 10 other people.  This guy was made for sales. 


They had their daily menu written out and it as brunch time for me so the ham, egg, cheese crepe was calling my name.  I had my little brother with me and he wanted the nutella & banana crepe. This entertaining man took my order and I stood in line to wait for my crepe to be made. The great thing about crepes is that it literally takes 2 minutes to cook them, you can fill it with whatever you want and it's the perfect street food. 

My brother, zoned in on his PSP, looked up at me and asked "How does he remember everyone's order?" I hadn't even thought about it but he didn't write my order down. He didn't write anyone's order down in the 12 person line but he remembered ever single order. I can't even remember what I did yesterday. That guy has a great memory. 


The 2 specials for the week were gourmet all the way: Roasted turnips, beets & goat cheese and Mangos & Mayhaw sour cream. The specials last for an entire week which I love because you have multiple opportunities to try it unlike a "daily special".  As you can see on the menu my crepe was $6 plus $1 because I added spinach and my brothers crepe was $5. These crepes are big enough for an entire meal so this is a great value.   

I took about 15 minutes for our crepes to be made. I love being able to watch my food being made and it does not get fresher than this. It's like watching your Subway sandwich being made but WAY better. 


The thin, delicate batter is spread over the piping hot crepe pan and spread around with what looks like a mini squeegee. They had 4 machines going at once and they needed it. The line was starting to build. I was glad I got there at the beginning of the market. I can't imagine what the lines would have looked like when lunch time hit in downtown. 


My crepe had a fresh egg cracked on top and spread around to be cooked. Then it was topped with cheddar cheese, ham and I asked for spinach to be added. When the ham hit the hot crepe you could smell it and I was getting hungrier by the second. 


My brothers crepe was spread with nutella, truly a gift from God. If you haven't tried Nutella get in your car right now and drive to your grocery store. It'll be right next to the peanut butter and jelly. You'll be finding excuses to put nutella on everything because honestly chocolate & hazelnut makes everything better. 






Our packages of goodness were handed to us golden brown and delicious. My little brother took a bite of his crepe and he said "This is good!". He's a pretty picky 9 year-old so if he said it's good, it really is good. 


Do you see all the banana in there? You get a whole banana inside your crepe! That cancels out the nutella and immediately makes this healthy.  The crepe was crispy, light and the perfect delivery package for the warm nutella and banana.  I could only get 2 bites of it because my brother kept telling me to give the crepe back to him but the 2 bites I got were heaven. 


My egg, cheese, ham & spinach crepe was the perfect meal to start my day off with. The crepe was filled to the brim with perfectly cooked egg, salty cheddar cheese, thick cut ham and fresh spinach. My favorite part of the crepe was the ham. I feel like whenever I eat ham in a restaurant it's the thin, deli style ham. This was REAL ham. The stuff that you gorge yourself on every Christmas.  Perfectly salty and smokey, I could eat a crepe filled with just the ham. The spinach gave it just the right amount of freshness to lighten the crepe up. 


If you've never tried crepes or are searching for the perfect French crepe like I was, then check out Melange Creperie. The staff is friendly & entertaining, the prices can't be beat and of course, the crepes are the best in town that I've had. Bon Appetit! 


Melange Creperie Website
Melange Creperie Twitter
Melange Creperie Facebook




Please comment, share and don't forget to follow me on Twitter!
Houston Food Truck Foodie Twitter


3 comments:

  1. I definitely need to try some Nutella now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job!!! I have to try those crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pass by the Melange Creperie location on Montrose every week & have yet to stop in. I need to change that soon & grab a banana Nutella crepe. YUM!

    BTW, since you said you hadn't heard of the Urban Harvest Farmer's Market, it might interest you to know they not only set up at City Hall on Wednesdays, but also on Eastside St. behind Richmond Ave. (between Kirby & Buffalo Speedway) every Saturday from 8-noon, & at Discovery Green on Sundays from noon-4. :)

    ReplyDelete