Saturday, April 21, 2012

Food Truck Orgy

So I admit it...I cheated on my "no yummy food" diet but I swear I have a good reason! 


Food truck heaven took place at the University of Houston UC. I have never been so happy to stuff my face. 


The Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship holds a festival every year. It was started to provide real-world scenarios for students to learn what it really takes to start a business. This year, Wolffest was April 17-19th. They had games, moonwalks,  a dunking booth and most importantly...Food Trucks! 


As I logged on to my twitter @htownfoodtruck this past Tuesday morning I was greeted with a welcome surprise.  Food truck after food truck was tweeting "We'll be at the UC at UH today! Come on out!". I literally fell out of my chair reading this. Just picture me in class having a mild freak out. 


I was not able to make it to the UC on Tuesday due to back to back classes from 10am-6:30pm. I know what you're thinking...that's insane but I digress. Wednesday there was a total of 6 food trucks parked at the UC...SIX! My stomach was very happy thinking about what was about to happen. 


My first stop was Oh My Gogi! and right when they opened at 10am there was a line of about 30 people. Don't believe me? 




This was the scene at 10 in the morning! Most college students are barely crawling out of bed with their hangovers at this time. This made me even more excited to jump in line. 


As I waited in line I was looking around and I saw a man holding a sign right by where the food trucks were lining up. I didn't think much of it at first.  I thought he was holding up a menu for one of the food trucks but then I looked a little bit closer. 



Now I'm not one to judge unlike this man, but does he not realize where he is?  The first person he says is going to hell is "drunks". Sir you are on a college campus. Every person you hand one of your "Jesus" flyers to is either hungover or going to get drunk in the next 24 hours. THIS IS A COLLEGE CAMPUS!!! I'm going to keep my religious and political views out of this but really this was just annoying. UHPD actually did something for once and asked the man to leave. 


I got to the front of the line at Oh My Gogi and I was torn looking at the menu. 



I decided on the OMG Fries with beef short ribs because I was about to eat at 5 different food trucks. That and because I saw almost every single person leaving the truck with those fries and they looked GOOD! 

The guys at Oh My Gogi were so nice and more importantly they had a clever tip jar. I mean c'mon...how could I not leave them a tip with that sign? It took only 2 minutes for the fries to be ready. After waiting about 30 minutes in line the food was a welcome sight. 


There's so much cheese that you can barely see the fries peeking out. Anything covered in that much cheese is going to be DUHHLICIOUS. If you don't like spicy food then don't forget to ask for these without sriracha. These fries cleared my sinus' right up! Cheesy, spicy, meaty- Put these adjectives in front of anything and it's gonna be good.  


  
My next stop was Coreanos, an Austin based food truck that has finally made it's way to the best city in Texas! 



Coreanos food is "Mexican cuisine with Korean in-between". The menu has dishes such as Korean BBQ tacos and burritos, quesadillas, fries and the most delicious thing I've ever heard of, BACON WRAPPED HOTDOGS! 

My stomach started growling when I read that, my heart also hurt a little bit. I decided on the Korean BBQ tacos with short ribs, korean slaw, onion, cilantro and sesame oil vinaigrette. 


Isn't that taco a thing of beauty? The short ribs were tender, the slaw gave it the right amount of crunch and let's talk about this vinaigrette. Tangy and a little bit spicy, I could have eaten 5 of these tacos. Perfection. 


Next time I stop at Coreanos I am definitely going to try their LA hotdog. I had to eat at 6 
different food trucks in one day so I had to pace myself.




My next stop was the one, the only...SASHA! Phamily Bites specializes in Vietnamese cuisine including banh mi and pho.  






I think that their most famous dish is The Vandalizer- Tender Filet Mignon chunks served on a fresh baked VN baguette, garnished with fresh homemade VN mayonnaise, pickled red onions, fresh watercress greens, grilled jalapeños, all drizzled with a salt and pepper lemon juice. That description came right from Phamily Bites website and it sounds amazing just reading it. I knew that's what I had to get.  




Look at those delicious pickled onions peeking out of the sandwich. You wanna see what the inside looks like? 




You can stop licking your screen now.

The meat was incredibly tender and flavorful. The pickled onions and watercress lightened up the richness of the meat and the creamy mayo brought it all together. The grilled jalapenos gave it just the right amount of heat without overpowering the sandwich. I have been Vandalized and I love it.

At this point I'm getting really full and I have 2 more food trucks to go...I really feel like I should get a medal for this. 


As I made my way to my next food truck I passed by Bernie's Burger Bus. You have no idea how hard it is to pass up a truck that you know has truffle parmesan fries inside of it *sigh* I'll come back for you fries...I promise <3 

Anyways, my next stop was the Bang Mi Truck. Now I know what you're thinking, "Oh my! How dirty!" It is and I love it. 


The Bang Mi Truck has, you guessed it, banh mi sandwiches. Since I had just eaten the Vandalizer I decided to get a grilled chicken banh mi. It came with all of the usual banh mi fixings-cilantro, shredded carrot, jalapeno & cucumber. 


YUM 


I loved the carrots and cucumber in this. They were slightly sweet, crunchy and light which was perfect because I had been in the sun all day. The chicken was tender and full of flavor. A different banh mi from the Vandalizer but equally as delicious. 

Just when I thought I was done stuffing my face for the day I see this...


I mean how do you say no to ice cream? Sweet Ride Houston has just what college kids need...sugar. They have almost every sweet frozen treat you can think of- Sorbet, Italian Ice, Snow cones and Ice Cream bombs. I wanted to try their specialty so I decided on an Amaretto Ice Cream bomb. 


I love amaretto and this ice cream bomb was made with amaretto ice cream and it's covered in mini chocolate chips and pecans. I might be a little picky with this but I would have liked the ice cream to be covered in almonds since amaretto is an almond flavored liquor but it was still really good. Next time I want to try the snow cone from Sweet Ride. I saw so many people walking around with Texas sized snow cones and I got a little bit jealous even though my stomach was about to pop. 

After my food filled day I retreated back home where I collapsed on the couch in a food coma, only to be woken for class. 

The next morning I went to school thinking, "I went to all the food trucks so today I can just stay at my college and do homework", but no. I logged back onto my twitter and I see The Modular tweet that they are on campus. I knew I shouldn't have eaten breakfast. 

As soon as my class let out I walked across the street to the UC and found The Modular. I had kept seeing tweets saying "The college kids are afraid of Sir Rams A-Lot" and "A girl just said we were too ugly to eat from". How can you be afraid of The Modular? They have kobe beef! I'd walk through a dark alley past a crack house for some kobe beef. 



Just look at Sir Rams-A-Lot, he's adorable. How could you not love that face? He says he loves you right on the sign.

It really bugs me that some girl said that the truck is "too ugly to eat from". Who do you think you are? I'm pretty sure someone has said the same thing about you honey *rimshot*

When it comes to restaurants you can't judge a book by it's cover. Some of the best food comes from hole in the wall restaurants and some of the best food comes from The Modular.

I decided on the Kobe beef sausage on a bun for 2 reason: 1) I love sausage and mustard together, 2) I am not a fan of crab. 

I know, I know...As a "food critic" I have to love everything but I've tried a lot of times to like crab and each time has failed. 


You know when you go to the rodeo and you order sausage on a stick with yellow mustard? This was SOOOO much better. This was the best sausage I've ever had. (Get your mind out of the gutter) It was spicy and smokey and the mustard was perfect with it. The bread reminded me of this mexican bread called a "bollio". I get them from Arandas bakery and every time they bring out a fresh baked batch people fight over them like they're filled with money. 

Well there you have it my fellow food truck foodies- 6 food trucks in 2 days. 

I enjoyed my food from all the food trucks and I can't wait to go back! Just maybe not all in one day again. 

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter (@htownfoodtruck), subscribe and email me at houstonfoodtruckfoodie@yahoo.com with your suggestions of where to go to next! 



Show them some food truck love and tell them the Houston Food Truck Foodie sent you!

Oh My Gogi!

Coreanos

Phamily Bites

Bernie's Burger Bus

Bang Mi Truck

Sweet Ride Houston

The Modular

No comments:

Post a Comment